Why buy an electric can opener?
It will make opening cans completely effortless and smooth. So which one should you buy? If you want to cut the chase and check out the best in 2019 then its the West Bend 77203. There are many brands out there that make faulty and even dangerous can openers. There are some common recurring complaints no one should have to deal with this. For example,
- Metallic Shards left in food after cutting the lid open.
- Incomplete cutting so you have to finish the job manually (defeats the purpose of an electric can opener).
- And difficulty in attaching the cans to the cutting mechanism.
We go over these issues in more detail later. But the top 4 can openers we have chosen here were all hand tested and in our opinion, the best products on the market. We’ve included the most popular brands here in our reviews section as well. All of our ratings and reviews that you see are from real users who have bought the products.
Top Electric Can Openers in 2019
Westbend is a very reliable company. And this particular product really lives up to the name. It has a tall and sturdy build, which allows it to open even the largest of cans and it’s one button operated. It uses a patented safety cut technology that bends the edges of the lid as it cuts it to prevent any sharp edges. It comes in at first place as it is the best value for money and built to last. It’s very similar to the Hamilton Beach, and is definitely equally worth the money, especially considering all the extras. A great gift and appliance for anyone looking, we definitely recommend it.
- Includes bottle opener and electric knife sharpener.
- The detachable chrome cutting blade is dishwasher safe.
- Cord storage in base.
- Automatic shut-off once finished cutting.
- Uses a 70 watt motor inside which can run for years without any trouble.
- The actual cutting blades are also free to replaceable if broken.
This deluxe can opener comes in black and chrome and opens all can types- including pop-tops. It does this with a “side cutting action” that cuts the whole top off, leaving behind a smooth edge lid that can be easily lifted off. It’s extra tall design in black & chrome is made to fit any kitchen décor. Unlike other can openers, you don’t need to go through multiple passes in order to get a can opened. It works very well and is a much cheaper alternative to the Black & Decker Spacemaker. If you just need something that gets the job done fast and efficiently every time, then this one will work great for you.
- Fast and efficient cutting.
- Comes with a premium chrome finish.
- Smooth touch operation, ideal for elderly people.
- Leaves can edge smoothed as it cuts it, to prevent injury.
Third prize goes to the Black and Decker CO85. This is the most expensive can opener out there, however it is also by far the best. It cuts cans of all sizes without hiccups. It’s a one off buy that can last for years. It’s designed to be mounted under your cabinets to free up valuable counter space hence the name “spacemaker”. Its installation is very easy because it comes with a manual and mounting hardware. It’s major draw back is the price, and we really question if a can opener should cost that much. But if you want the best, something that will last generations, this is your best bet.
- Will automatically shut down after finished with opening.
- In-built knife sharpener and bottle opener.
- Cutter is removable for washing.
- Comes with cord storage compartment.
- Powerful 1.5 amp motor.
4) Oster 3147
This is a stylish looking can opener specifically designed to open tall and large cans. It’s Oster’s answer to Westbend and Hamilton Beach. It’s really light weight and the cheapest on this list, but still a quality product. Oster has always made excellent products and it’s no surprise this can opener has made it to the top 5. Most notably, there is an in-built blade sharpening system so you will not have to worry about any issues related to dull blades. It’s a great value product, we recommend it.
- In-built cord storage.
- In-built knife sharpener.
- Automatic inbuilt cutting blade sharpener.
- Magnetic lid lifter to hold lid after cutting.
5) The Metro One Touch Can Opener
Another great mention was the Metro One-touch Can Opener we found it’s one touch operation to be very convenient and useful, requiring minimal effort. This is a cord free can opener so you have to place it on the can, press the button and watch it crawl around the edge on its own cutting the lid as it goes. So It’s Ideal for people with fragile hands or arthritis.
It also takes up minimal space because it’s smaller (can fit in your palm), and so you can store it in a drawer or cabinet.